What we do
Includes information on our vision and role, our structure, what we do and what we don't do, and job vacancies.
This website is managed by the Economic Development Group within the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (formerly the Ministry of Economic Development).
From 1 July 2012, references to the Ministry of Economic Development should be read as the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
Our vision: Confident consumers
Our main role is to create an environment that promotes good and accurate information flows between suppliers and consumers so that consumers can transact with confidence.
We are part of the Economic Development Group within the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment .
Hon Craig Foss is the Minister of Consumer Affairs.
View his profile on the Parliament website.
What we do
- Develop consumer policy including consumer protection, product safety and weights and measures
- provide appropriate, accurate and accessible information, education and advice for consumers and businesses on consumer laws and issues
- investigate unsafe consumer products
- provide advice on consumer representation, including a consumer representation nomination service to government departments and agencies
- administer a range of consumer legislation
- enforce the Weights and Measures Act 1987.
Papers and Reports
Briefing to incoming Minister 2012 [PDF format 100KB] (on Ministry of Economic Development website.)