Motor vehicle traders
Information relevant to motor vehicle traders.
You are a motor vehicle trader if your business is motor vehicle trading, whether you are a
- car auctioneer
- car consultant.
You will also be treated as a motor vehicle trader if you sell more than six vehicles in a 12-month period or import more than three vehicles in 12 months, unless you can prove that you are not doing so for gain.
Contractual Remedies Act.
Key information for auctioneers
If you are an auctioneer selling motor vehicles:
- you are required to be registered as a motor vehicle trader on the Motor Vehicle Traders Register
- you are not required to be licensed under the Auctioneers Act if you are properly registered as a motor vehicle trader, although you must comply with the Auctioneers Act requirements
- you must comply with the requirement to display a Consumer Information Notice with used motor vehicles for sale at auction
- you must disclose whether there is a security interest on any motor vehicle you offer for sale
- you must comply with the Fair Trading Act
- you may not be required to comply with the Consumer Guarantees Act . However, if you pre-sell a vehicle before auction, you may be required to comply with the Consumer Guarantees Act.
Key information for car market operators
If you operate a car market, car fair or "display for sale", including on a website or webpage, you are:
- required to take reasonable steps to ensure motor vehcile traders display a Consumer Information Notice with vehicles they offer for sale at your car market
- required to comply with the Fair Trading Act in relation to information you provide to sellers and buyers
- not required to comply with the Consumer Guarantees Act unless you are the consumer of the vehicles for sale.