Protect your phone
If you receive a call with an offer that sounds to good to be true, it probably is – so hang up.
- Put a PIN on your mobile phone to protect your identity information in case the phone gets lost or stolen.
- Be suspicious of unexpected calls and text messages.
- Be cautious – if in doubt, hang up!
- Be wary about responding to unsolicited calls, texts or faxes. They may direct you to disguised 0900 numbers or similar and it may cost you to reply.
- Don't give out your number to just anyone. Even if a caller claims to be from a reputable organisation, they may not be. Always ask why a caller needs your number and what it will be used for. If in doubt – hang up. Don’t give your number.
- If you are to provide details to an organisation, look out for any terms and conditions which permit the organisation to give out your details to anyone else.
- If you receive a call with an offer that sounds to good to be true, it probably is – so hang up.
Last updated 12 November 2010